Thursday, August 31, 2017

Amazing burritos in unlikely places

An upscale museum cafeteria is the last place I would expect to find delicious Mexican food.

Which is why I was so pleasantly surprised by the burrito I ate for lunch today at the Huntington Library's Cafe.

In ordering the burrito, I bypassed the mediocre sandwich station at the entrance for the Mexican station run by the Border Grill chain.

After I ordered, the chef grilled the tortilla to crisp perfection (the secret to any good burrito in my view).

He spread a layer of black beans and added a zesty salsa and cotija cheese. These three ingredients created a pleasant flavor combination that obviated the need for condiments.

Tender rich steak and crisp, sweet-and-salty plaintain chips (yes! Plaintain Chips!) rounded out the interior.
Bomb Burrito on Classy Dishware
The outcome is perhaps the tastiest burrito I have ever eaten.

Priced at $12 each (i.e. two taco truck burritos), the Asada Burritos are not necessarily a bargain--though if you become a Huntington Reader (like I am), you pay only $9 (with a 30% reader discount).

For a more rexperience, consider dining at Border Grill's downtown restaurant, as I now certainly will.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment