Thursday, October 20, 2016

Cafe Brasil (belated post)

I've gotten behind in the last two months because I have been bogged down by homework and readings (now that I'm back in school). I meant to publish the following article on August 19th.

With the Olympics happening in Rio, I had to eat some Brazilian food. My visit to Cafe Brasil Tuesday evening did not disappoint.

Approaching on Venice by foot, I was immediately charmed by the lush green color of the shack in which the restaurant was located.

Entering (through the door) off of Westwood Blvd, I stepped into a bustling dining area;. Patrons crowded around the wooden tables and filled the air with chatter. The verdant green and orange interior wall decor and tent-like plastic windows lend the ambience of a Rio de Janeiro beachside Barraca (or concession stand) if one ignores the hum of traffic emanating from Venice.

To place my order, I moved to the the cashier at the back, situated immediately in front of (and opening directly into) the kitchen. The sizzling sound of steaks and vegetables on the grill and the tantalizing wafts emanating from them helped me decide on a "Havana" sandwich, described as containing "top sirloin steak with low-fat cheese, lettuce and salsa".

After five minutes of knifework and cooktop artistry, a benefit of the open kitchen, I received my platter, consisting of two half-sandwiches and a side salad. (Yes, you have to order at the counter and bus your own plates. The advantage of course, is that you aren't obligated to add a tip.)

I wasn't too crazy about the salad, which consisted of field greens with a balsamic dressing.

The sandwich was a different story. Layers of peppered steak and smoky mozarella cheese, enlived by a zesty and piquant salsa, melted into my mouth with ease .

For only $7.25, I left satiated and satisfied. The other sandwiches, which smelled just as delicious, are priced similarly, though you should be prepared to splurge if you intend to purchase an entree-sized steak or pasta,



No comments:

Post a Comment